Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Name Change...

After a near obsessive amount of deliberation, I've opted to change the name to "Black Coffee." It was the first phrase that came to mind when I began thinking up names, but I shook it off because it seemed too straight forward. But, as just about everyone who has ever met me knows, straight forward is how I tend to go.

"Black Coffee" is a great Black Flag song. It is also how I drink my coffee. A customer at Starbucks once said, "if you don't like the taste, don't drink it." His quote stuck with me as I weaned myself off of cream and sugar.

When coffee is taken black you can pickup on the natural flavors in the beans themselves. Coffee beans have different tastes depending on where they're grown. The natural differences in soil contribute to this. For example, Ethiopian coffees (my favorite) tend to have a blueberry, almost juicy, flavor while in your mouth and a solid roasty flavor as an aftertaste. If you fix it up with cream and sugar, you're likely to miss out on the unique taste of the beans. The natural flavors are fun to explore and test our taste buds against. Get to know the beans. As Cornel West says, "you can't love somebody if you don't know what color they are (about 12:50)." You can't love your coffee if you don't know where it's from.

So. There you go. New name. Black Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment